Wind Point, Wisconsin — The Wind Point Lighthouse on Lake Michigan, viewed from the southeast.
Text of the lighthouse’s Wisconsin Historical Society sign:
THE WIND POINT LIGHTHOUSE
To assist navigation around the point into Racine harbor, the Wind Point Lighthouse began functioning in 1880 with a kerosene lamp, focused and magnified by a third order Fresnel lens. Its light could be seen for 19 miles.
At 108 feet, it is one of the tallest and oldest lighthouses still serving navigation on the Great Lakes. Its fog hons, which last sounded in 1964, could be heard for 10 miles.
In recognition of the key role this lighthouse has played in the maritime history of Racine County, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
In 1997, the National Park Service awarded ownership of the property to the Village of Wind Point. The Coast Guard still maintains the light as a public navigation aid.
Erected in 2002 by Friends of the Wind Point Lighthouse in memory of Judge Richard G. Harvey, Jr.