Florence, Italy — The west side of Giotto’s Campanile (bell tower) seen at dusk from street level on the Via de’ Pecori. Obscured at left is the Battistero di San Giovanni, and behind that is the dome of Florence Cathedral (the Duomo — or Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore).

Designed by the early Italian Renaissance painter and architect Giotto di Bondone with a surface of colored marble, the Campanile’s first stone was laid on July 19, 1334.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This