Paia, Maui, Hawaii — Makawao Union Church, at 1445 Baldwin Ave., designed by architect Charles William Dickey and dedicated September 2, 1917 on the site of the former Paliuli Sugar Mill, donated by Maui businessman and politician Henry Perrine Baldwin.
Baldwin became church organist after joining the congregation in 1870, and he continued to play organ with his left hand after losing his right arm in an industrial accident on March 28, 1876 at his Paliuli Sugar Mill.
In gratitude for answered prayers, Baldwin donated the Paliuli Sugar Mill site in 1888, and a white frame church was dedicated on March 10, 1889. It was razed in 1916 and replaced by this structure, built of concrete with stone veneer and called the “Henry Perrine Baldwin Memorial.”
Church website: Makawao Union Church